USDA Forest Service

North Central Research Station


North Central Research Station
1992 Folwell Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55108

(651) 649-5000

United States Department of Agriculture Forest Service., the U.S. government's official web portal.

Introducing the Northern Research Station

The North Central Research Station and the Northeastern Research Station have joined to form the Northern Research Station. Our 20-state region spans the Midwest from Minnesota to Missouri and the Northeast from Maine to Maryland.

Frequently Asked Questions

[image:] bulleted itemHow can I find out about employment opportunities with the Federal Government / Forest Service / North Central Research Station?
A. You can find out about federal employment opportunities on the world wide web at  Forest Service job postings are available at  To inquire about opportunities at NCRS, call the North Central Human Resources Service Center office at 651-649-5000.

[image:] bulleted item Where can I learn about recreation fees or get a Golden Eagle/Age/Access passport?
A. Most national forest system lands are open, free of charge for your use and enjoyment. Entrance and user fees may be charged at some areas.

ENTRANCE FEES are required for entering designated federal recreation areas such as National Parks and National Monuments. Entrance fees can be paid each time you visit a forest or grassland, or you can use a special pass, including the Golden Eagle Pass, Golden Age Pass, and Golden Access Pass.

If you plan to use a specialized facility (camping, parking, boat launch, ramps, swimming site, etc.) in the forest, you may have to pay a USER FEE. Learn more about the Recreation Fee Demonstration Project and specific Fee Demo projects that charge user fees.


There are three main types of recreation passes:



There are two main types of recreation permits:


Information about permits required to conduct business on National Forests.


[image:] bulleted item Can I get someone to come look at a diseased tree in my yard?
A. Contact your state forestry agency.

[image:] bulleted item Where can I get camping information on "specific" campsites?
A. You should contact the supervisors' office for the forest where the campsite is located or visit

[image:] bulleted itemWhere can I purchase Forest Service maps?
A. Maps are available through the U.S. Geological Survey website at or any of the listed business partners. They are also sold in the supervisor's office for each forest. Some maps are sold at the Ranger District Offices.

[image:] bulleted item Does the Forest Service ever give out seedlings to the public?
Generally, there is no "free" source of tree seedlings. Some state forestry commissions have been known at times to give away some to scouts and similar groups if there is a surplus after the spring planting season.

USDA Forest Service - North Central Research Station
Last Modified: Wednesday, 21 April 2004

USDA logo which links to the department's national site. Forest Service logo which links to the agency's national site.